The Finland Scholarship offers international students from outside the EU/EEA help fund university education in Finland, ensuring they get the best support for making the most of their studies, nurturing their talents and launching successful careers after graduation.

The scholarships aim to gifted non-EU/EEA students liable for tuition fees and apply for international master’s programmes at the Finnish universities listed below. 

The scholarship covers a first-year tuition fee and a relocation grant of 5000€ as a minimum. Many universities offer further scholarship options for the second year of master’s studies. Please see the links for the participating institutions below. 

You can apply for a scholarship from the university when you apply for admission. Please check the application procedure, deadlines and detailed requirements directly from the university.

More information about the Finland Scholarship is available from the participating universities’ websites:


As part of the Finland Scholarships programme, Finland Fellowships is a funding option for non-EU/EEA students and researchers admitted to starting their Doctoral studies at one Finnish research and art university.

The Finland Fellowship contributes to the salary paid by your Finnish university and also includes a 2000€ arrival grant.

Check the Finland Fellowship details with your Finnish university – see the list above.

Finland Scholarships are available from 2022 to 2024, and the Ministry of Education and Culture funds the scholarships.


When you think about the cost of your future studies in Finland, there are two different aspects to consider. First of all, the tuition fees and related scholarship options, if you are a non-EU student, and in addition to that, your everyday living costs. 

If you are from outside the EU/EEA area, you must pay tuition fees for bachelor’s and master’s level programmes taught in English. The annual tuition fee depends on the university and the degree programme, varying between 4,000€ and 18,000€  approximately (2019/20). You can check the tuition fee of the programme you wish to apply to in the Studyinfo. fi programme description, or with the university offering the programme.

There are some tuition fee exemption rules – use the checklist in the tuition fees info section of Studyinfo. fi to find out if these apply to you.

At the doctoral level, tuition fees are not charged, regardless of nationality.

Remember that if you are required to pay tuition fees, you are also eligible to apply for a scholarship from the university. 



In addition to possible tuition fees, you are usually required to cover your everyday living costs independently. It would be best to show that you have sufficient means of support and insurance when you apply for your student residence permit.

Students’ monthly living expenses (including food, accommodation, travel, insurance, etc.) are around €700 – €900, depending on where they live and their living habits. Living costs are typically higher in larger cities than in smaller ones. 


University students must pay an annual student union fee of approximately €80 – €100. There are similar student unions at applied sciences (UAS) universities, but the membership is optional. When you join your local student union, you get a student card entitling you to discounts in places like student restaurants and when using public transport.


Applying for higher education degree studies in Finland is done online at Studyinfo. fi.

If you need advice on your application, get in touch with the Admissions Services of the university to which you are applying. You can find their contact details at, or on the universities’ own admissions info pages

There is no application fee, and applying is always free.


The application route and period depend on the degree programme, so always start by searching for the study programme(s) you’d wish to apply to. After choosing your programme(s), you can easily check the application period and other admission-related details with those particular universities you are interested in.


The joint application to studies starting in autumn (September) is arranged annually in January (5–19 Jan in 2022). All degree programmes available via the joint application share the same application period. The joint application also means applying to up to six-degree programmes with one single application.

A small number of individual degree programmes may also offer a January study start option. The joint application period is usually open in September (31 Aug–14 Sept in 2022). Note, however, that the September common application for studies starting in January has a rather limited selection of programmes on offer compared to the January joint application.


Some degree programmes can have their application periods open before or after the joint application periods. For example, you can read more about separate applications at However, the application period can vary in different applications depending on the programme.

In many cases, the separate application periods fall between the period from November to late January for studies starting in autumn. Still, some universities/UAS’s may also offer application options through rolling admissions for several months. So, as there is a lot of variation in “separate application” periods, it is always recommendable to check the exact application period with the university/UAS of your choice. 


Several UAS bachelors offer a new Pathway Studies to Finland program. These programmes consist of a one-year study period at home, after which you are eligible to apply to continue your studies in Finland as a degree student. The degrees are taught in English at selected Universities of Applies Sciences in Finland.

The pathway studies are fully accredited as part of your degree. Universities have reserved several study places exclusively for successful graduates of the UAS Pathway Studies to Finland program.

NB: The autumn 2022 UAS Pathway Studies application period is 11 April–27 May. Applications are made at where you can also find more information on this option.


When applying for bachelor’s programmes, you usually need to hold such school-leaving certificates that make you eligible to apply for higher education in your home country. In addition, you’ll need your upper secondary school certificates, even if you have completed some higher education studies after that. 

For master’s level admissions, you need to have completed a university-level bachelor’s degree or equivalent. There is an additional requirement for the UAS master’s of at least two years of work experience after completing one’s bachelor’s degree.

The exact requirements may vary from one-degree programme to another, so remember to check the details with the university you are interested in. For example, if you are an eligible applicant, you may additionally be required to complete an entrance exam, SAT, or interview. 

If English is not your first language, you may need to demonstrate your English proficiency level. IELTS and TOEFL are the most commonly accepted options, but many institutions offer others. Check the English proficiency test requirements and any possible exemption rules with the university you apply to.


After the application period and any entrance exams are over, the universities you’ve applied to will process your application and make a final admission decision. The admissions decision schedule is available in the programme description. 

Once you have been accepted as a student, you will receive an official admission letter from the institution. Remember to follow the guidelines given by the university to confirm your study place. You can only accept one study place per term, even if you receive several offers.

Having accepted your study place, you can start applying for your student residence permit. Start your student residence permit application process as soon as possible after your acceptance.

If you are applying to Master’s programmes at universities, check out the Finland Scholarships!

Your first step would be to search for the degree programme you’d be interested in applying to. Then, you can check the scholarship options and procedures with the university/UAS offering that programme.

Find out about the available options at Studyinfo. fi or on the universities’ own admissions info pages, and then contact the university/UAS you are interested in for further advice.